Conor Allen Eckerd College Campus Box 14 4200 54th Ave. S. St. Petersburg, FL 33711
April 24, 2008
Customerservice@yankees.com
Dear New York Yankees,
My name is Conor Allen and I am a student at Eckerd College. I have always played and appreciated sports and the immense talent required to play at the professional level. After researching the amount of money many professional athletes receive compared to other professions however, I became concerned with the message we send to children and our image as a country. From my research I learned that the average MLB salary is just over 3 million dollars compared to the average teacher salary, which is about 45,000 dollars.
I am writing out of concern for other professions, which are an absolute necessity to society and receive much less compensation than professional athletes. When comparing the salary of Alex Rodriguez for example to the salary an average teacher receives. Alex Rodriguez earns 28 million dollars per year and total s more a year than the entire Florida Marline 33 player roster. No athlete deserves that much money to play a game when teachers who educate our children rarely receive more than 100,000 dollars a year. I am writing to request that Yankee players who make over a certain amount of money per year are required to donate a percent of their money to the National Education Association.
Although many athletes may disagree with this requirement at first I believe they will eventually see that it portrays a positive image for the Yankees and the players themselves. This would show that the Yankees does not value baseball more than education and hopefully this will urge other teams to follow the trend. If the MLB does this hopefully other leagues will as well such as the: NBA, NFL, and NHL. This will show America still values education and the importance of it in our society.
I sincerely thank you for your time and hope you strongly consider my idea. I believe this is the right thing to do and an improvement opportunity for many. I would appreciate a reply whenever convenient.
1 comment:
Conor Allen
Eckerd College
Campus Box 14
4200 54th Ave. S.
St. Petersburg, FL 33711
April 24, 2008
Customerservice@yankees.com
Dear New York Yankees,
My name is Conor Allen and I am a student at Eckerd College. I have always played and appreciated sports and the immense talent required to play at the professional level. After researching the amount of money many professional athletes receive compared to other professions however, I became concerned with the message we send to children and our image as a country. From my research I learned that the average MLB salary is just over 3 million dollars compared to the average teacher salary, which is about 45,000 dollars.
I am writing out of concern for other professions, which are an absolute necessity to society and receive much less compensation than professional athletes. When comparing the salary of Alex Rodriguez for example to the salary an average teacher receives. Alex Rodriguez earns 28 million dollars per year and total s more a year than the entire Florida Marline 33 player roster. No athlete deserves that much money to play a game when teachers who educate our children rarely receive more than 100,000 dollars a year. I am writing to request that Yankee players who make over a certain amount of money per year are required to donate a percent of their money to the National Education Association.
Although many athletes may disagree with this requirement at first I believe they will eventually see that it portrays a positive image for the Yankees and the players themselves. This would show that the Yankees does not value baseball more than education and hopefully this will urge other teams to follow the trend. If the MLB does this hopefully other leagues will as well such as the: NBA, NFL, and NHL. This will show America still values education and the importance of it in our society.
I sincerely thank you for your time and hope you strongly consider my idea. I believe this is the right thing to do and an improvement opportunity for many. I would appreciate a reply whenever convenient.
Sincerely.
Conor Allen
Post a Comment